The area's original inhabitants were Lenni-Lenape Native Americans who peacefully co-existed with English settlers- followers of William Penn- who arrived in the late 1600s.
In 1695, the English formed the community of Waterford Township, one of the original townships of old Gloucester County. The community had a long, varied, and successful existence as an agricultural center and mill town.
On March 13, 1844, residents held a town meeting and incorporated the Township under a new name- Delaware Township- which then became part of the newly organized Camden County.
A description of Delaware Township, in 1886, depicted a "prosperous agricultural community" composed chiefly of gristmills and carriage-making shops. For more information, read on...