The Cherry Hill Police Department dates the origin of the department to May 1, 1924. John Branin was appointed as the township's first patrolman. He served as a patrolman until the fall of that year when he was appointed as the department's first chief. There are 5 special officers were named to serve under him.
The township and the police department were known as Delaware Township until December 6, 1961 when the township officially changed its name to Cherry Hill Township. On December 27, 1937 the township council formally established the police department by ordinance.
As the township grew over the years and changed from a rural farming community to a bustling suburban community with busy shopping malls, retail centers, industrial centers, hotels and corporate parks the population grew from approximately 10,000 people to over 75,000.
The police department also grew in size from the original six officers to the 129 member police force of today.
The department has undergone many dynamic changes over the past 80 years but the mission has remained the same: To protect and to serve the public.